When welcoming a new puppy or dog into your home, establishing a vaccination schedule is vital. Our veterinarians will work with you to create a tailored plan that protects your dog from diseases. Vaccines have greatly decreased the mortality rate of once-fatal illnesses, providing crucial immunity. For more information, reach out to us at 902-468-7387.
Why are vaccines crucial for my dog’s well-being?
Vaccines can significantly impact your dog's health by providing essential protection against various infectious diseases. By stimulating your dog's immune system to produce antibodies against specific disease-causing agents, vaccines help prevent these illnesses from taking hold and causing harm. Keeping your dog up-to-date with their vaccinations is an effective way to ensure their long-term health, providing them with the best chance at a vibrant and disease-free life.
What are the core vaccines recommended for puppies?
The core vaccines recommended for puppies typically include:
- Canine Distemper Vaccine: Protects against a highly contagious and often fatal viral disease that affects a dog's respiratory, gastrointestinal, and nervous systems.
- Canine Parvovirus Vaccine: Guards against a severe and highly contagious virus that causes severe gastrointestinal symptoms, leading to dehydration and potentially life-threatening complications.
- Canine Adenovirus Vaccine (also known as Canine Hepatitis): Shields against a viral infection that can cause liver and respiratory issues in dogs.
- Rabies Vaccine: Provides protection against the rabies virus, which is fatal to both dogs and humans. It's a legal requirement in many regions and essential for public health.
- Bordetella Vaccine: Also known as the kennel cough vaccine, it helps protect against Bordetella bronchiseptica, a bacterium that contributes to kennel cough, a contagious respiratory infection in dogs.
These core vaccinations are considered essential for all puppies as they provide critical protection against common and serious diseases. Your veterinarian will recommend a specific vaccination schedule tailored to your puppy's age, health status, and potential exposure to infectious agents. Keeping your puppy up-to-date with their core vaccines is crucial to building strong immunity and safeguarding their health as they grow and explore the world around them.